Thursday, February 08, 2007

Paquito D'Rivera To Play At U of L


My favorite clarinetist is nine time Grammy award winner Paquito D'Rivera. I'm excited because his quintet is scheduled to play a concert in Louisville on February 25 at U of L's Jazz Week 2007. Also a monster alto sax player, Paquito has played with many greats including Dizzy Gillespie, Arturo Sandoval, Irakere, Claudio Roditi, and numerous others. He also has been leader of many world class jazz and classical groups. He is a phenomenal musician and excels at composition as well as performance.

I have been collecting Paquito recordings for many years and have quite a large representation of his work. Dad and I heard him in concert several years ago when he was member of The Caribbean Jazz Project. That group was incredible. Andy Narell was playing steel drums and David Samuels played vibes and marimba. Paquito was excellent on alto sax and soprano sax, but it was his fabulous clarinet chops that really knocked me out. I love the guy's playing and keep at least 15 or 20 of his albums in my iPod at any one time. I will definitely be in the audience for the 7:30pm concert at U of L's Margaret Comstock Concert Hall on 2/25/07.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home