Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Favorite Musicians

People often ask me at my gigs to name my favorite players. I don't think my answers are consistant, as my list of favorites is continuously evolving. Here's my list as of today. It is not a list of who I think are the best players, it is a list of the musicians whom I enjoy most.

Alto Sax - Paul Desmond, Sonny Stitt, Phil Woods

Tenor Sax - John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Kirk Whalum

Trumpet - Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Arturo Sandoval

Trombone - Bill Watrous, Carl Fontana, Frank Rosolino

Guitar - George Benson, Jim Hall, Jonny Lang

Piano - Oscar Peterson, Ahmad Jamal, Bill Evans

Organ - Joey DeFrancesco, Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff

Male Vocalist - Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Bill Champlin

Female Vocalist - Nancy Wilson, Sarah Vaughan, Bonnie Raitt

Flute - Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Lew Tabackin, Jean-Pierre Rampal

Clarinet - Paquito D'Rivera, Ken Peplowski, Buddy DeFranco

Big Band - Woody Herman, Count Basie, Maynard Ferguson

R&B/Soul Band - Tower of Power, Earth Wind & Fire, Average White Band

Rock Group - The Beatles, Steely Dan, Chicago

1 Comments:

At January 28, 2006 3:44 PM, Blogger BobbyG said...

Add Vegas's Santa Fe and The Fat City Horns to your favs, bro'

Check out my new blog on them -

http://santafeandthefatcityhorns.blogspot.com/

Their live CD is just awesome. And, this is -- to this point -- a one night a week quasi pickup gig. Unreal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home