Thursday, June 21, 2007

Al Vizzutti & Vince DiMartino

When I think of trumpeters who display amazing technique, the list would certainly include Al Vizzutti and Vince DiMartino. Vince was my jazz ensemble instructor for four years at the University of Kentucky. I have always enjoyed listening to him and admiring his dazzling technique. I remember when he brought his friend Al Vizzutti to UK to lead a clinic and perform for us. I was the only sax player in the room of about twenty trumpet players who had come to hear these masters play. I remember Al demonstrating to us how he could double tongue octaves and then Vince displaying his own tremendous range and accuracy. It was an incredible exhibition.

Click here to watch a short video clip of Al and Vince performing with the UCLA Bruin Marching Band at the 1986 Rose Bowl game.

1 Comments:

At June 21, 2007 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I checked out this clip ... which led me via utube to some MF clips which hooked me for 30 min or more of various MF clips. You know ... awesome baby.
w.e.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home