Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Remembering Boots Randolph


Famed saxman Boots Randolph died July 3, 2007 after suffering a brain hemorrhage. He was 80 years old. His 1963 hit "Yakety Sax" was later used as the musical theme for comedian Benny Hill's television show.

I met Boots at Kentucky Governor Martha Layne Collins' Inauguration. I was playing that night with "The Men of Note" as we alternated sets with Boots. A Kentucky native, Boots was a true gentleman as he offered me encouragement and told me to always enjoy and appreciate the times I play music. I listened to each of his sets from directly in front of his bandstand so that I could closely check out what he was doing on his horn. He had a unique sax sound and vibrato and an interesting way of articulating his notes and shaping his musical phrases. I enjoyed hearing him in person and particularily appreciated the few moments we spent talking about music and the saxophone.

1 Comments:

At July 10, 2007 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For many years Boots was the headliner at the Clark Co. 4th of July and County fair shows.

BW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home