Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Chicago XXX


I was pretty excited when I heard that Chicago was releasing a new studio album this month. It's the first album of all new songs that they have done since 1991. They have been one of my favorite bands for many years, so I have been eagerly awaiting this release.

I have always bought their albums during the first week of each release, and had preordered this one too. When it arrived, I put it aside and scheduled my calendar for a listen tonight. I did this so my first listen would be in my studio, where I can hear EVERYTHING without interruption. I played the disc in it's entirety the first and second time, and then isolated several of the parts for close scrutiny.

The verdict...I like it. The musicianship is excellent, the production is unbelievable (some of the vocal voicings are simply incredible), and there are several very good songs. The production of some of the tracks may be a little overkill on the studio effects, but the state of the art production gimmicks are pretty neat to hear through my studio reference speakers or headphones. One of my favorite vocalists is the legendary Bill Champlin. In addition to his solo and Sons of Champlin work, he has been a member of Chicago for many years. He is featured a lot on XXX and, as always, does some remarkable things with his voice. Original Chicago member Robert Lamm sounds good. Bassist Jason Scheff sings in tune on this album! I've always liked the tonal quality of Scheff's voice very much, but I have a hard time listening to his poor intonation on the live recordings and in concerts as he attempts to sing the old Peter Cetera parts. In the studio he sounds wonderful. Guests Rascal Flatts sing with Chicago on "Love Will Come Back." The tight harmonies make this track sound like a potential commercial hit to me. The vocal arrangement is outstanding. The other tune being promoted as a hit is "Feel." Though not my favorite, Sharon and Melody both liked it very much and think it may become a hit. Like all Chicago albums, the horn charts are by trombonist James Pankow. They have that good unmistakable Chicago sound. I always wish for more horn section features, and this album is no exception.

Though XXX is much different than the early Chicago albums, this is a fresh and powerful sound that still has a hint of the early stuff. Many fans from the early years may feel that this new album doesn't compare to the great early ones, and they are right in a sense. This new one is different, but it's good too. And it's a whole lot better than most of the stuff being played on the Top 40 stations today! Welcome back Chicago. I can't wait for XXXI.

1 Comments:

At March 30, 2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of their best albums. I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home