Thursday, March 30, 2006

Vocalist Cheryl Tolbert


Cheryl Tolbert is a fine jazz vocalist and music educator that has moved to Lexington from New Orleans after Katrina. I first heard her sing at a Sunday morning church service at Madison Hills Christian Church in Richmond and enjoyed her very much. I was in a rush that day and didn't get to speak with her, but certainly intended to meet her at a later date and perhaps work together on some musical efforts.

At last night's Giuseppe's gig, I recognized her as she sat at a table across the room from my bandstand. There were two other ladies with her, all enjoying the evening as they celebrated Cheryl's birthday. I met Cheryl, her sister, and a good friend.

What beautiful women with exciting personalities I observed! Even though their lives have been changed forever due to the disaster, their strong faith in God and optimistic outlook will allow them to continue to be happy and enjoy life.

I succeeded in prodding Cheryl to sing a tune with me. She sang a slow blues that was enjoyed by everyone. We are hoping to do some gigs together in the future both as a duo and as part of a combo. I certainly look forward to those gigs, as it is always fun to play with fine musicians that truly enjoy the experience.

1 Comments:

At March 30, 2006 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheryl was a real treat. She performed with a lot of heart and I hope I get the chance to see her perform with you again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home